i strive to be a positive person, i do. there is more than enough sadness, heartache and madness in this world. i think trying to put out a little positivity is a good thing. i wholeheartedly believe in karma. i believe you get what you put out in the world, so i try to put out good. that said, some things do rub me the wrong way. i am human.
so here’s a few (feel free to chime in with yours in the comments)
- the pink explosion that comes when you have a little girl. WHY? why does the little play kitchen have to be pink and lavender? why do 89% of the clothes have to be pink, fuchsia and leopard or some variation of? can’t there be more primary colors?! i just don’t see the need for all that pink. can’t my girl love green, or black, or red? and while i am on this topic, the whole princess gig really rubs me wrong. why is that most little girl clothes are A. PINK and B. say “sweet” “cute” or “princess” on them… in sequins no less, pink sequins! BARF. i want my girls to be individuals. strong, feisty, kind, spunky & independent. those clothes, and all they stand for, are just not that message. can’t their clothes say smart, funny, and strong instead? or better yet, “i am awesome.” in black.
- the saying “love you to death.” can’t really explain it, but it just makes my skin crawl…
- when you walk past someone on the street and they will not look at you. BE KIND! LOOK UP! SMILE! why not?
- those election signs stuck in every green space imaginable. it does not make me want to vote for your candidate. quite the opposite actually.
- butt crack. not just for plumbers anymore. everywhere you turn these days. i don’t even particularly like my own, i don’t expect you to want to gaze at it, so cover yours. please.
- OB/GYN exam rooms. seriously, the fish mobiles? the painted flower motifs? and the worst of worst, fuzzy golf club covers on the stirrups. (yes i have put my feet up in something that should be covering a 9 iron and a driver. ) when i am naked from the waist down and in the most vulnerable position possible, i do NOT want to put my feet up in golf club covers and imagine my doctor on the back nine… no thank you.
- weak handshakes. you know the ones, their hand feels like a limp dead fish in your hand. what is that?!?! grab my hand and shake it! with feeling!!!!!
- mean people. they suck.
i can feel my blood pressure rising just letting my mind wander to the things that irk me, so i think it’s a good time to stop. maybe i need to go meditate on happy thoughts like apple pie, kid belly laughter, bubbles, and kittens.
but if we happen to pass one another on the street, please look up, say hi and shake my hand… firmly.