so winter is on where i live. i know the calendar says it is fall, but trust me on this one. it is cold. it is dark at 4:20pm. D A R K. that is so not cool. once the snow begins to fall it will stick around til sometime mid march or april. i love summer. i love sun. i like to be tan. i like to be barefoot. none of this winter stuff bodes well for me. so what does a girl like me do? develop some serious coping skills, that’s what. i have a few…
- candles. i now buy them like i do milk. each week a new box of taper candles comes home with me. i light them around 4:15 and burn them all the way down. thank you trader joes.
- chicken and dumplings. (trust me this stuff has medicinal qualities.)
- loaveS of banana bread. some with chocolate chips, some plain, occasionally one just for me loaded with walnuts.
- color. red mostly. favorite red cardigan. favorite red toque. red plaid scarf.
- trinkets from sunny california. i bought myself a sweet vintage enamel ring (a yellow flower) and a vintage melmac plate (also with yellow and orange flowers) as my souvenirs from my time in palm springs. i plan on pulling them out all winter long and pretending i am back in sunny california. this could work right?
- big tub of petroleum jelly. in winter my skin holds its very own protest. my lips crack. my hands crack. my heels crack. last year i discovered by covering myself in good old petroleum jelly i can avoid most of this. it is not at all trendy or sexy, but it IS a heck of a lot sexier than i am without it.
- strings of twinkle lights. not just for christmas. therapeutic.
- if i was more of a drinker i would list whiskey, but alas i am a lightweight, probably the biggest lightweight of the bunch, so instead how about some spiced chai latte. again, thank you trader joes.
come february winter will undoubtedly break me and i will be
crying sobbing in my chai, but for now i am finding comfort in these few things.
so tell me your tricks. what am i missing to help get me through the next 5 months?